Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Good Husband

Since I am so behind in my posting, I can give you the full scoop about the "Gift of the Magi" story.

Mitch's 30th birthday was coming up on February 9th.  I wanted to throw him a big ol' party.  However, he obviously knew that is what I wanted to do and he kept telling me over and over again that he didn't want a party.  Most of his friends lived away, he has only stayed in touch with really one friend from high school, etc. etc. etc.  Disappointed and unclear what to do, I began brainstorming.  

Around the 1st of the year,  I started my plans.  I decided to take him away for his birthday.  Somewhere warm where he could golf, and maybe even somewhere where some of his buddies from Omaha could meet us.  I talked to my parents and asked if they would babysit, purchased the hotel, talked to his co-worker about getting him the day off, and starting finalizing the plans.

Little did I know, he was planning me the SAME EXACT TRIP.

Boys, you may not know this about your father, but he is not a huge fan of holidays.  He doesn't quite get the whole "Make your wife feel special days" such as anniversaries, Valentines, etc.  He does, however, every once in while surprise me so much and it makes up for it all.  He is a good man.

So, on Friday, January 18th he let me in on his plan.  He told me to pack my bag and he was taking me to Vegas for the weekend to see Celine Dion.  

Who was watching our kids?  My parents - Same people that were asked by me to watch our kids in 3 short weeks.

Where were we going?  Vegas - Same place that I was taking him in 3 short weeks.

Where were we staying?  Same hotel I booked just days prior.

Hilarious.  The funny thing was that all these people around us knew that we were each planning the same exact trip but they couldn't say anything.  AND.....I still couldn't say anything and they couldn't either (at least to Mitch) because I still had 3 weeks to keep it hush hush.  

So as excited as I was to go, I was feeling a tad guilty that I was leaving my kids to leave again in 2 weeks (for a girls trip to San Francisco) and then the next week for this same trip to Vegas for Mitch's bday.  However, my guilt soon subsided and we had a fabulous time.

Just Mitch and I.

I love this man.  He spoiled me.

We went to the container store, saw a movie, went to the largest buffet in Vegas (with the most delicious dessert bar), and saw Celine Dion.  It was a wonderful vacation.  I also loved the long car ride with my best friend too.  It was so nice to just talk and have no outside distractions.  

It was a good trip....and I was even ready to do it again in a few weeks.

No comments: