Thursday, October 8, 2009

26, 4, 2, 10, and 0

26 is the number of years I am. 4 is the number of years my oldest son is. 2 is how many years old my middle son is. 10 is how many months my baby is. Zero is the number of times I will ever fly alone with them again.

You know the lump in your throat feeling? The feeling that you are going to start bawling any second. Yes, that is how I felt this entire day with the bawling happening a lot too.

This day has been a day I have stressed over for many months. Why did I do it? I have been regretting this decision for a month now, but I really thought I could handle it. FYI I cannot. I had been contemplating the best way to travel with my three little guys for a while now. I looked into the rolling car seats, leashes, and more. I decided that it would be best if I could strap both Easton and Creighton into a stroller and have Easton in a car seat on the plane. Most flights haven't been full lately, so I could use an extra seat for his car seat. I ordered an attachment for my double stroller to allow for the car seat to be strapped in. I should have received it before I left to UT. Long story short, after forgetting it twice, I had a friend bring it to UT with them yesterday and I picked it up from them. So, I have my attachment and I think I am all prepared. 9:00 last night, took my stroller out, completely flat tire. A thorn had pierced a hole through it.

We call around and find a bike repair shop on the way to the airport that opens at 9. Perfect. My flight leaves at 11, we stop there on the way.

I will tell the rest of the story with time measurements for easier perusing.

9:05 - Loaded in the car, pull out of the driveway.
9:06 - Call "Bike Repair" shop, it's a Motorcycle repair shop
9:10- Pull into a different bike store and they are fixing my tire
9:25 - Stroller is fixed, new tube in tire, and they filled my other tires up. On our way to the airport.
9:45 - Almost to the exit. I tell my mom, "I feel good about things. Everything is going to be OK." Suddenly there is a huge pop. I thought Creighton must have had a balloon or something. We then realize, it was my tire.
9:47 - I calm down and think, I can make it to the gate on one flat tire. Creighton will just have to hold onto the stroller and walk. He promises he will do so.
9:50 - Pull into airport and stop the car. "POP!" Yes, another tire. This time, plastic went everywhere. It shattered my rim.
9:52 - I fall apart. I'm told the flight is full, (no car seat for Easton), no way to contain and carry my children through the airport.
9:55 - Gain composure, tell my mom to keep my stroller and take it back to the bike shop to find out what happened and head off with my 3 kids to security.
10:00 - Through security (to be honest, this was the easiest part of my day and the thing I was most scared about)
10:01 - Creighton insists on wheeling our carry-on bag and falls with it down the escalator 5 steps.
10:03 - Realize I left my diaper bag in my stroller. Please don't let anyone poop.
10:15 - After a very long walk with very slow children, we make it to our gate. (the furthest away one in the airport)
10:30 - We find out our flight is delayed 10 minutes.
10:30-11:45 Me trying to keep my kids from running into everyone else and trying to be somewhat calm.
11:45 Our 10 minute delay turned into 35 and we are finally take off.
12:00 Let us turn on the electronics. They both want the same movie of course, but get the settled and I am feeling better. Easton is crazy and doesn't want to sit still, but at least the others are entertained.
1:15 - Get off the plane in Denver. 25 minutes to make it to our next flight, but kind of excited b/c they won't be running around the airport.
1:16 - Check monitors. Flight delayed 45 minutes.
1:16 - Kids playing on the side of moving sidewalk. Falling and running into people. Bad looks from all.
1:18 - Get on moving sidewalk and head to our gate holding Easton, 2 blankets and a backpack.
1:19 - Creighton starts running down the moving sidewalk and I can't catch up to him.
1:19:30 - Catch up to him and drag him and the other kids into the bathroom.
1:20 - Get into the handicap stall with my 3 kids (Creighton screaming) and finally my lump in my throat is gone and I can't stop crying. Creighton hugs and kisses me, tell me he's sorry and he won't run away again.
1:30 - Calm down. Wash hands and exit the bathroom.
1:31 - Creighton lets go and leaves my side. This continues until we get to the gate.
1:45 - Discovered Creighton has pooped.
1:50 - Decide maybe I can just put the poop in the toilet and put the diaper back on.
1:52 - Get to stall. Not that kind of poop. Trying to clean him up with Easton on the floor and constantly shooing him away from the toilet. Dips his hands in at least 5 times.
1:55 - Throw diaper away. Fully sanitize and wash everyone's hands, faces, etc and head off to buy a diaper.
1:57 - Diapers aren't sold in the airport
1:59 - Scouting around looking for a mother of a 2 year old to get a diaper from. Find one. She has a size 3. Creighton is not a size 3 kind of boy, but we took it gratefully.
2:02 - Placing my large child on the diaper changing table with no where to put Easton. Sick.
2:05 - They start loading plane. We are waiting in line.
2:06 - Turn around, Creighton is gone. It's busy, can't find him anywhere. Panic.
2:06:45 - Find him.
2:15 - Sitting in our seat after another fight over the window. Jackson gives it up again.
2:25 - E finally falls asleep for his first nap for the day (normally goes to sleep at 9:30)
2:55 - Our flight finally leaves. One hour and 15 minutes late and 40 minutes after sitting on the place (De-icing)
3:05 - Creighton falls asleep leaving the rest of the flight to be peaceful. Maybe the horror is over.
3:30 - Change from MST to CST. One hour closer to bedtime without any anguish. Best hour of the trip.
5:00 - Flight lands. Try to wake up Creighton
5:03 - Want to exit plane, but Creighton says he can't walk. He's too tired.
5:05 - Flight attendant asks if she can help. Hand her Easton and I pick up Creighton with Creighton freaking out the entire time. She takes up to the end up the jet bridge, and I hold Easton and drag Creighton a little further out of the terminal (most of you know, waking up a sleeping toddler doesn't put them in the greatest mood)
5:10 - Maybe a few feet further, and more temper tantrums. Mitch calls. He doesn't have the van, asks if that ok or if he should go back home to get it. I'm very upset, but can't talk and tell him just to get there.
5:15 - Going down the escalator. Creighton is scared to get on it (he fell twice on it). We finally make it down and out to where Mitch is. I am in tears and so glad it is over.
5:20 - Mitch is getting our luggage. We have no car seats (he didn't bring our van and Easton's was checked). Security comes over and starts writing me a ticket.
5:21 - I am crying, yelling, and making a scene. He puts the ticket on my car and walks away.
5:22 - I get into car and Jackson and Creighton are crying and Jackson says, "Rip the ticket up Mommy." (I love that kid!)
5:23 - Mitch comes out with almost all our luggage.
5:25 - Communicates with the security guard.
5:27 - I leave to circle the dumb airport while Mitch goes to get our other bag since we are threatened with getting another ticket.
5:45 - Mitch gets in the car with our final bag.
5:55 - We are home.

Few comments:
-Don't EVER do this! Call me, I will talk you out of it.
-Don't pray for patience the night before. Your patience will be tested.
-Omaha Security guards are the worst. They will be hearing from my attorney.

18 comments:

Bobi Jensen said...

I am crying for you just reading this! Wow. That's all I can say.

Bobi

Sean, Siri, Addie and Connor said...

OH MY!!! I will NEVER do that! I hope. I will remember to call you first. You are a brave woman.

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh, sweetie!!! I don't know how you did it. You are my hero. I promise to take your advice and never do that. I wanted to just cry from reading about the day. You're amazing and so brave. Congrats for getting through it. I bet the marathon was nothing compared to that. Oh - and tell Jackson I think he rocks for saying to rip up the ticket. Love that!

angie said...

i'm a horrible friend, but i can't stop laughing!! i was dying thinking about easton on the public bathroom floor!! ha ha ha and i bet creighton had a huge wedgie from the size 3 diaper!!! that seriously sounds like the biggest nightmare. stupid, stupid stroller tires!!!! i'll definately make sure i get the right size and that it's not blown up WAY TOO MUCH. i'm sorry you had the worst flying experience ever. someday you'll laugh about this!! (maybe) oh, and don't worry... i will never let you do this again!! luv ya!

Unknown said...

HOLY CRAP! What an awful day! I am glad you are back...I can't believe ALL that happened to you! (Eventhough I did laugh alittle through it...I was just like Angie, a horrible friend!)

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

SO good to read...... I was contemplating flying to St.george at chirstmas with three kids and no tim...but super nervous....I will make Tim come....that marathon is amazing Allie...someday I hope to be that tough....I always love St.george marathon weekend! Hope you are well!

Lynden and Lyndsay said...

oh my!!!! that sounds horrible, i am SO sorry!! well, glad that you made it home safe!

Tiffeny said...

Allie, it's Tiffeny. I want to send you an invite to our blog but I don't have your email address. Mine is tiffersoup@gmail.com!

Jason and Tawni said...

I am crying right now. Tears are literally exiting my eyes and I am laughing in between feeing bad for you. I am SO SORRY this entire chain of events took place. When you were describing the bathroom scenes, I was gagging and laughing and crying. Seriously, you are my HERO girl. And I promise I will never fly alone with 3 kids by myself. Ever.

Bleak's said...

HAHAHA!! I have finally read it and hope you don't mind me telling my sisters to read it to!!!
I am so sorry... I thought it was bad with two kids and Andrew. You are my HERO!!!!
Jackson saying "tear up the ticket" is classic. and I would have been puking with my baby crawling around on those nasty bathroom floors.

Janette said...

HOLY COW -- what an insane week you had here in Utah. We are sad we missed you.

todd and jeanette said...

i am so sorry allie! everything was nightmarish, but especially the public bathroom incident! i really appreciate your dedication to writing your experience- i will never try this. we miss you and wish we had seen you when in utah! next time, please!!!

Marianne said...

Oh allie! It's too horrible to be true. There is no way that many things went wrong on an already stressful day. I have to admit, I was laughing as I was cringing though, too. And thanks for the bit about the marathon. It truly was so inspiring and uplifting. You are awesome. We're glad we got to see you and we miss you already!

Melyn said...

how awful!!! i'm glad you made it through and that you are home now!

belliesue said...

You are one tough cookie! Airports definitely seem to bring out the best situations for mothers traveling alone with children! Keep Smiling!

Meghan said...

Seriously!? Oh,you should publish this story. I am so sorry. I bet Omaha never looked so good.

GOOD JOB on the St. George marathon!!...what a neat family you have.

Another VG reunion? I would love to see you and your cute fam.

Shauna said...

What the!? Wow! I have tears...what a crazy experience!

ensadler said...

You told me this story in person but now I am seriously doubting my ability to travel by myself with my boys. Hummm. major dillema!! Did you know airports have family restrooms where all of you kids can fit! Look for them next time you are there, they are SO much nicer! Sorry to hear the trip was so horrible. I hope mine doesn't compare when I travel at Christmas!