Monday, July 20, 2009

Napping

Do you ever have those moments when walking by your bedroom, you see your bed, and you literally cannot walk away from it because it is beckoning to you? Last weekend, I had these moments, and the entire time laying there I knew I would regret it. In fact, while lying there the first time, I smelled something very sweet. It smelled good. Did this worry me? Yes, but my body told my brain I didn't care. Then, I smelled the sweet with maybe some cleaning material. Did this worry me? Yes, however, I knew the damage had probably already been done so I slowly got up and went down the stairs with my eyes closed. The aroma got stronger and stronger with each stair. The sound of my children scurrying to hide, made me more concerned. However, they weren't running to hide. Instead, when I reached the bottom of the stairs and looked over in the kitchen, they were standing there as proud as they could be. "We Cleaned!" Armed with the Windex and noticing the floor was quite wet, I thought, this can't be that bad. I can clean this up quickly. However, when I stepped on the floor and my foot kind of stuck to the ground and then saw my kids shirts died pink, I felt differently. After perusing over the evidence I discovered the "sweet smell." I had two packages of Crystal Light on my counter which they decided to eat like powdered candy. That mixed with Windex is how they cleaned my floor. So, if you ever want a great fruity smelling floor cleaner, there you have it......windex and crystal light powder. No problem that it is one of the stickiest concoctions you could make.



The next day I succumbed to my bed again, Jackson found a magic marker and decided to color our table, tv, basketball hoop, along with many other various objects (I am still finding). Yes, he is 4. Why? I don't know. Shouldn't 4 year olds know this by now? Apparently not mine. Then today, while I was NOT napping (I should have been because obviously it doesn't matter if I think I am paying attention.) Creighton went in the "Mommy and Daddy room" (as my kids call it) and got a magic marker and proceeded to color all over his body and do some more artwork to the basketball hoop. There were 4 little kids down there when he did this and one finally came up and informed me of what was occurring. I guess it could have been worse without that informant. I am grateful for that. Here is a picture of some of the artwork.
So...the moral of the story. Napping or not napping, my kids will be naughty, so I don't think I will say no to my bed just for that reason.


P.S. No, I am not napping because I am pregnant. Believe me, I am having adequate amounts of birth control daily. After being a single parent (basically, with Mitch studying for the bar from about 6am-9pm) all week, I just really needed a nap.

3 comments:

Janette said...

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem-- I think part of it is crowd control... the more little hands you have, the more trouble they seem to get into. You guys need to bring your kids and come see us one of these times you hit Utah soil!

Anisha said...

Hi Allie

My kids have done the same thing more than once. Here's the magic trick: Toothpaste and hairspray. It takes some scrubbing, but I've gotten permanent marker off the kitchen table, couch, rug and walls. have fun scrubbing.

Jason and Tawni said...

I really do love reading your blog but since your kids are at the age where I will be in a couple years, it is like looking into the future and that scares me. I won't be as calm and collected as you are when these instances occur. But to be honest, I am more worried for Jason's sanity. Have you met my husband? Can you say clean freak? My poor children won't know what's coming.

Even though they were being naughty, I still adore them.

PS There is nothing wrong with napping, even when you aren't pregnant. You have 3 kids. Give yourself a break girl.