Sunday, October 2, 2011

Remembering.....

I miss Que.

It's sad but my memories are getting fuzzy.  I knew they would. 

I have a hard time hearing his voice.  My mom just imitated him tonight and it made me so sad to think I had forgotten.  I knew it would happen, but it's still sad.

I love the memories that Jackson has of him.  They almost always have to do with how he always tickled him.  Que was Jackson's biggest fan.  They were buddies. 

Everytime I hear a Red Hot Chili Pepper song, I think of Que.  Everytime I see someone golfing, I think of Que.  Everytime I see a young man with curly brown hair, I think of Que.  Everytime, I run past the cemetery and I run past Brighton High School, I think of Que.

This time of year always brings me to a moment of reflection.  Each year, I think I realize more and more that he is happy now.  Each time I go to the temple, it is confirmed to me.  He is happy.  He would have been 20 years old and I know that he may not be here on this mortal Earth as a missionary, but I know that he is a missionary.  He is a great one. 

Tonight we met at the cemetery.

It was the usual....kids running around...



 My dad lounging on the grass.
A few of us shared some memories and my dad reminded us of Que's dedication to going to church.  He had to work every other month or so on a Sunday.  My dad admitted that if he had to work and he was going to miss some of church, he would have just missed the whole thing.  Not Que.  He hurried home, got his shirt and tie on, and headed over.  I hope my kids will remember that story.  I hope I will too. 

It all ended with us singing Que's favorite hymn, "Be Still, My Soul."  I would definitely say we won't be invited into a recording studio anytime soon (singing is definitely not a strong point for any of us), but the words mean a lot to us.  And it reminds me, "The Lord is on thy side.  Bear patiently the cross of grief and pain.  Through thorney ways leads to a joyful end." 
Love you Qbert.

1 comment:

angie said...

you won't forget, because you write about Que and you can always go back and read it to help you remember. at first i thought it was crappy that you're october general conference was always going to be a hard weekend. but really, every anniversary you'll get a huge boost. it's ok to be sad. you sound mostly hopeful though really. love you.