Sunday, January 15, 2012

10 years ago.....



10 years ago (on January 2nd), I married my best friend. 

Our story:  I first laid eyes on Mitchell in 7th grade.  Mitchell was a giant in Jr. High.  He was, no joke, as tall as he is now in Jr. High.  We both won the Bruin of the Quarter award (I have a picture of us sitting up on the stage next to each other) the first quarter of 7th grade.  I thought he was cute and it was easy to notice him around school.  I don't believe he noticed me. 

In 8th grade, we had 6 out of 7 periods together.  That's a ton for such a large school.  We were destined to be together. :0)  That year, I sent him a Kiss-a-gram anonymously for Valentines Day.  He didn't know it was from me.  I don't think he knew I existed.  I didn't tell him this for another 2 years. 

In 9th grade I was in "love" with him from afar.  I liked him so much that I had a friend take a picture of him and I kept that picture in my scripture case. (It had a clear cover, so everyone could see.  Geeky, yes.)  I also happened to show up to every YM/YW activity with Tawni since they were in the same ward.  At this point, he was forced to know I existed but that is about it.

Finally, in Sophomore year and with Tawni forcing him, he asked me to the Homecoming dance.  Our first date.

3 years from that date we were engaged.

3 months later we were married.  Bunch of crazy kids. 

Our wedding was amazing.  I truly believe that reception was the best and coolest reception of all time.  Seriously, how many people can say they had theirs in a roller rink and they were able to have "The 1st Skate" and to "Another One Bites the Dust" (thanks again Dad, very cool song choice)?  Not many I'd say.  My mom pulled off the greatest party and I don't think I really appreciated all her hard work and all she did until a few years later.  She is incredible.

So....10 years and 3 amazing children later confirms to me.....It's been an amazing 10 years.  So thankful for an awesome hubby that has always been by my side and I love him more today than I did then.

3 comments:

todd and jeanette said...

so, did you cut your hair and then have the other photo taken? seriously, you guys look very close to where you did 10 years ago- and i want your secret.
congratulations on 10 years. we think you guys are the very best and we enjoy your friendship so much.

The Peterson's said...

I have to say...I think you and mitch look better with age. I am so glad you found each other. Mitch is the best brother in law. I love him! I love how he is with your boys and how you are together. I also love how he fits in our family. There is no better example of soul mates than you and mitch. I still remember hearing his name for the first time and finding out you liked. What a lifetime ago.

angie said...

aawwwwww! so glad you got to celebrate in hawaii!