Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Empty Threat

As much as I hate to admit it, I perform the "empty threat" much to often.  It usually occurs when we are going to go do something fun and I threaten the kids that we won't go.  However, I generally want to go, so the threat is purely empty.  Unfortunately, my kids are now old enough to know this.

Yesterday, a sad thing happened....two more exercise balls perished here at the Evers' home.  It's been almost a year since the last one, but I guess with my mom having 3 balls sitting around, it was just too tempting.  This time it was not child #1, however, it was child #2. I had been telling them all day that if they we were good, we would go to their cousin's bday party.  When I saw the 2 balls laying limp on the ground, that was it, I cancelled the party.  We would no longer be attending.

2 hours later, we were headed to the party.

So.....what's my deal?  I act all big and tough, but with some crying, pleading, I'm sorries, and giving all the money they've earned to my mom to buy a new ball, I caved.

Well, it's a new day and I am recommitted.  My new goal:  don't make threats you don't want to deliver on or can't.  And if I do make the threat, follow through.  We'll see how it goes.  Hopefully, the last of the 3 balls will survive the Evers' temporary stay here.

2 comments:

Anisha said...

We've had to learn this lesson the hard way too. It's more of a punishment for the parents, but you just wait to see the change in your kids when you actually stick to your threat.

You will at least get 2 weeks of good behavior after the "missed event" all you have to say is, "remember when you didn't get to go to your cousins birthday?" You will have them eating our of your hands, try it!

Unknown said...

Story of my life Allie!! Empty threats are a regular at our house! ha...oh well...what do you do?!