Thursday, January 20, 2011

11 Goals for 2011

It's 20 days into January, and I am finally writing down my goals.  I've had them in my head the last 20 days, but because I haven't written them down, I am ashamed to admit that when I write them down today....they will be missing one or two that I have already failed on.  Haha, so the story of my life.  That's OK though, we will go forward with these ones:

1.  Personal scripture reading daily - This year, I have decided to focus on the modern day scriptures.  After reading the Book of Mormon about 5 times (1st Nephi about 50), I have chosen Conference Talks.  It has required more time thain I have ever put in before for scripture reading, but I am loving it.  I feel like every talk is directed right to me and I honestly feel like I am learning more than I ever have before.  In fact, I feel like a lot of my other goals have been inspired by talks I have read in the last 20 days.

2.  Family Scripture Reading - We did OK last year with our scripture reading.  Not so well as the year closed to an end.  This year, we are recommitted.  Going hand in hand with Goal #1, I modeled this goal after one of the first talks I read.  It was by Rosemary M. Wixom in October's Conference 2010 and is titled "Stay on the Path."  She tells a story about a family of 4 that did their family scripture reading by just reading one verse each.  Even though that was only 4 scriptures a night and it took them a very long time to get through the Book of Mormon....they were doing it!  So, we have adopted this.  We read straight from the scriptures and each take a turn reading.  I'm still not sure if my kids get anything out of it, but we are setting an example and I feel like that is most important.  Here is a little video of E reading.  He normally likes to add his own words too.  For example, he loves to say Choo, Choo randomly throughout the scripture.  He doesn't do it in this video, but I still think it's adorable (of course).


3.  Push-ups and/or sit-ups 6 days a week.  Yeah, this one hasn't been going to well.  We will keep trying.

4.  1-2 marathons and 2 1/2 marathons.

5.  On my knees to pray, every morning and night.  (I did the night goal last year, this year I am working on the morning.)

6.  Read to my kids 20 minutes every day.  I know, I know, I should already be doing this and it should be an easy goal....but I really struggle with this.

7.  Temple attendance monthly.

8.  Make my kids a blanket.  Jackson has been asking for one for a long time and instead he just watches me make everyone else one.  This year....it's their turn.

9.  Print my blog into books.

10.  Get a house. (maybe this is more of a wish than a goal)

11.  DO MORE SERVICE!!!  Seriously, I have been slacking.  So, if you ever need something...give me a call.  Let me accomplish my goal. :)

There they are.  Hopefully writing them down will help me hold myself accountable.  I guess I'll laugh and make fun of myself next year when I read them.  Who knows though, maybe I will be someone I have never been before and actually accomplish them.  How cool will that be??  Well, I guess we'll see.

3 comments:

todd and jeanette said...

your boys were so good at dusting my house, why don't you all come over and give my home a big cleaning makeover. service...done.

just kidding!

Unknown said...

Okay those are some great goals....I think that running your races you need to include "running the races..with Janel!!"
oh and the goal about reading to your kids...just wait till 1st grade when it is their homework to read for 30 minutes DAILY!! it becomes a chore!

But anyways, talk to you soon!

Katie said...

How is it that Easton has grown up so much in the last month? He seems so grown up!

And great goals. Do you know what half marathons you are going to run yet? I was thinking about running the Provo Half...