Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Quarantine

We have been quarantined.

I have strep throat and Jack & Creighton have scarlet fever (from the same bacteria that causes strep).

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to lose weight. This is due to my lack of self control. So, I prayed. I prayed I would have self control. I think the Lord knew the only way I could have self control was if I literally couldn't swallow food.

I have never had this awful illness before. I think I've had bad sore throats and thought that I had strep, but holy crap this is a whole different animal. It's kind of like when someone has a bad headache and they call it a migraine. Um no, if you've had a migraine before...you know that's not a bad headache.

So, I want to say the kids didn't get it as bad as me, because I really was a much bigger complainer. It started with Creighton. He got a fever and then he got a rash. Didn't think much of it. I had just gotten a new shampoo and figured it was from that. Jackson got the same rash, and again figured it was the shampoo. I did decide to keep them home from school though because of the fevers. Then....I got it. It came on so fast. It started as a little sore throat in the morning, still went running in the snow (probably didn't help) and once I got back I could not warm up. I kept blaming it on running in the snow, but as the sore throat got worse and worse and I was getting colder and colder...I knew I was sick. When my throat got so bad that I hurt to swallow my spit, let alone anything else, I knew it was bad. Looked in my throat and saw pure nastiness. We are talking yellow ball of grossness. So....I googled. Results: I self diagnosed myself with strep throat and found out that in kids 2-10 they can get scarlet fever where the symptoms are rash around neck (check), and fever (check), and sore throat (didn't think they did...but after looking inside....poor kids!).

So, we are sick. As I mentioned, this is an evil illness. I have been on Tylenol every 4 hours and when I even get close to the 4 hours, I start shivering and cringe every time I have to swallow. I woke up a couple times in the night to the sound of me wimpering. Yes....I am that dramatic. Seriously. It was bad though. I even dreamed the entire time about how I there was some contest where of you swallowed the least amount of times, you won.

Anyway, enough of my complaining. I am on the mend and I am pushing the Tylenol to 6 hours. The even better news, we have been on the antibiotics long enough that we might leave the house tomorrow. This will be a good thing for all. They have watched a lot of tv and we MAY be getting in eachother's nerves.  I guess one good thing is I can't yell.  So even if they are driving me nuts, I have to remain calm.  The vibration of the uvula from talking is much to painful to talk, let alone yell.  So....perhaps after this I will have an adversion to eating unnecessarily and yelling.  Haha. 

To mix things up with the endless of hours of tv watching, we turned on a 3d movie and put on our 3d glasses.  Super cool.

5 comments:

The Peterson's said...

Best picture of all time! And we miss you!

Marianne said...

Strep is awful! I got it once several years ago and it was the worst! It's been way too long since I last checked your blog. So many cute posts and cute pictures. Miss you guys!

Shauna said...

So sorry! Sounds miserable for everyone- but by the look of your picture you are making the most of it. :)

angie said...

now you understand why the girls had to have their tonsils out. strep once a month was just ridiculous. glad you're on the mend!!!

Melyn said...

Scarlet fever? I hope you guys are ok!