Thursday, June 2, 2011

I think it's time

Easton has successfully gone potty on the big boy potty a few times.  However, because of my lack of patience and desire to go through the torture of potty training (I still have nightmares from the Creighton potty training adventure.), I fail as a mother and clap excitedly when it happens and then quickly put the diaper back on. 

He is ready.

I am not.

However, after tonight I think it is time.  Tonight, he took off his poopy diaper.  He came into the kitchen where my in-laws and I were seated eating dinner and he was naked and he came and brought us underwear to put on him.  I chuckled until he turned around and a gasped.  There was brown all over his behind.  Mitch and I looked at eachother and dared the other to go in and see what had happened in the room.  After much hesitation over not wanting to even know, I went in.  The diaper was on the floor, no sign of poop anywhere else.  I immediately noticed a dirty wet wipe in the diaper and laughed to Mitch that he tried to wipe himself.  Looking for the more wet wipe, I opened the designated "wet wipe drawer" and inside there were about 10 more used poopy wipes.  Along with that, I noticed there was poop on his shirt and on his foot (which he had tracked all over the carpet). Lovely.  Loss of appetite, yes.

So, I'm thinking that when your kid takes their diaper off, finds the wet wipes, and wipes himself.....maybe he is ready to be potty trained.  Dang!  I guess I better do it.

I think potty training, along with many other things in motherhood, suck while you are going through it but the reward is great.  Examples:  getting your kid to sleep through the night, or getting rid of the binky....which I must mention happened this week.  Yipee!  Oh, and for those that are judging....yes, my kid is 2 1/2, but he is my baby, so lay off. :)
Now I have the BEST news to report.  My mother-in-law, aka the angel, has graciously offered to potty train Easton for me.  I have accepted!!  She is the potty training pro.  She hates diapers, so started putting her kids on the potty as soon as they were old enough to even sit up.  Also, when she babysat some kids while their mom went to girls camp on year, she potty trained their kid.  Can you believe that?  Coolest thing ever!!!  So, Monday and Tuesday Easton is hanging out with his Grandma day in and day out while she potty trains him.  Now, I just have to hope I don't screw him up after he returns to me in underwear.

1 comment:

The Peterson's said...

Where you are with Easton always makes me feel like I am so behind with Beck.