Saturday, May 22, 2010

A diagnosis....FINALLY!


Last weekend when I went to Utah, I finally received a diagnosis! Hallelujah. Only 3 doctors, $200, sadness and 2 1/2 months later, but finally a diagnosis.

On March 8th (sad that I can remember that date so well) I injured myself. The weather had FINALLY turned nice and I was able to run outside and I was at the half way mark for the marathon training schedule to be able to run with my mom in Ogden. Rest wasn't making it any better and I was getting frustrated knowing that I was probably not going to be able to train for this marathon.

So I made dr appointments. After the 1st doctor making me feel like it was all in my head and telling me to "push through the pain." I started thinking it was in my head. However, believe me, the pain told me it wasn't in my head so I headed to a different dr. This dr. told me he didn't know but thought there was a 50% chance it was a stress fracture. Yeah, it wasn't. I took 3 weeks completely off and still it hurt when I ran. So, I called up the "Dr. House" of Ortho in Salt Lake and begged them to squeeze me in for an appointment during the 4 hours on Friday I would be in town. Luckily, they did. Dr. Toronto diagnosed me with IT Band Tendinitis and with stretches, some anti-inflammatory medication, and new shoes I can run again!!!

So, I didn't get to run the marathon with my mom....bummer. BUT I am running again and I am so happy. Seriously, I couldn't believe how much I missed it. I can't believe what 2 days of stretches and new shoes did when I ran for the first time again. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

1 comment:

Mark and Heather said...

I've had to buy a lot of new shoes this year too because apparently my body is getting old and I have to have all the right support. I'm glad you are feeling better though. Too bad good shoes all seem to cost over $100 a pair!