
I live in Omaha, Nebraska. Only 2 miles from the heart of downtown Omaha. You'd think there wouldn't be so much wildlife in what I consider to be the city. However, there is. Some of the things I have encountered in my 4 years in my neighborhood are: deer, squirrels, black squirrels, chipmunks, wild turkeys, bats, snakes, raccoons (some the size of bear cubs), rabbits, skunks, and I even saw a peacock a few days ago.
This spring, we have had an infestation of skunks. It started a few months ago with a bunch of larger skunks and our neighborhood was starting to smell nightly. We caught the adult skunks, and about a month later, we discovered BABIES. There were 8 babies living under my friends porch that she single handedly caught herself and took care of until they were turned over the wildlife people who were going to finish raising them and then promised to set them free FAR FAR away from here. However, after all those skunks were caught, it was discovered that a gang of "teenage" skunks were living just 2 doors away from me. Every night at dusk, they come out. At first, I actually thought they were kind of cute. They are growing every day though and getting less and less cute. Hopefully, they were be taken FAR FAR away from here too. Here's a pic of the "teenage" skunks:
I haven't seen these little friends for 2 nights. Gone? I hope so. What's next? I don't even want to guess.
4 comments:
Yeah right! I haven't seen any traps out there. They are just waiting for the right time to spring out and spray. :)
One more reason I am glad I don't live in Omaha.
What?? The skunks have taken over in the month that I have been gone! haha. and that racoon was the size of a bear cub!!
How exciting! We went back to papa's playplace one last time today. It was pretty sad. Emma just couldn't say goodbye. Thanks again for that pass. It was great.
Post a Comment