Sunday, September 18, 2011

Jackson's 1st Day of 1st Grade

August 23rd, 2011 my Jackson went to his first day of 1st grade at Brookwood Elementary.

Every year I feel older and older.  My child is officially in grade school.  Yesterday, I tried to carry him in from the car.  He's so big.  He's so old.  He's so grown up.  You know that book, Love You Forever?  When the mom goes into her child's room each night after they fall asleep and pick them up and sing to them, "Love you forever, like you for always, as long as you're living, my baby you'll be."  I think my kids think I'm kind of crazy but I full on cry every time I read that book.  As I carried my Jackson in last night I realized, that it's only a matter of time (that I know will go by TOOOOO fast) that he will be the one carrying me.  Sigh.

OK, back to his first day of school.  Sorry about that.

My Handsome Jack

Jack with his bros

About to get on the bus
Jackson has Mrs. Lloyd and he loves her.  She is great!  We are really liking Brookwood too.  It is amazing school.  I realized this on registration day when I went to sign up to be a room mother and 15 mothers had already signed up (out of 24 and on the first day). 

There are 3 1st grade classes, but it's funny that all 4 little 1st graders in his church class are in his 1st grade class too.  It's been fun for him.

The other nice thing is that our next door neighbors have 3 boys too that are 8, 11, and 14.  The two that go to Brookwood walk with Jackson to and from the bus stop.  Creighton and Easton like this too.  Easton is in love with them.  They even hold his hand as they walk home from the bus.  They are so cute with my kids. 

So, here is why I talked a little bit about how I'm sad my son is growing up:  About a week into school, I went to get Jack from the bus stop.  As I was walking towards him, he was walking with a group of boys and I could tell he was trying to ignore me.  I went up and gave him a hug and asked him how his day was and he said nicely and softly, "Mom, can you leave?"  I walked to the other side of the street and walked home alone that day.  I'm holding back my tears even now.  It was just a few months ago that he would blow me kisses the whole way into walking into his kindergarten class and yell out, "I love you mom."  It was just a few months ago he would kiss me in front of his whole class.  Now, I can't even walk by him.  So now you can see why I am holding on and why I went off about that little book and cry my way through it.  So sad.  So sad.

Since that day, I've been letting him walk home with the neighbor boys..... but as soon as he gets home he gets hugs and kisses whether he likes it or not!! :)

2 comments:

Melyn said...

He looks SO grown up in these pictures! I can't believe he's in first grade. Wow!

The Peterson's said...

Oh, that last comment about walking home breaks my heart!