Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Top 10 Reasons I will miss Omaha

My dad is famous for doing top ten lists. Once Dave started doing it....Jim started doing it.  This is just for my journaling purposes, so it may be boring for you, and be a post to skip.  

The Top 10 reasons I will miss Omaha:

10 - It is so green here - When I pictured Omaha in my mind, I pictured flat & corn fields...that's it.  When we arrived and saw how hilly it was and how many mature trees there was, I was amazed.  I was even more amazed when I discovered that no where really has sprinkling systems.  This was truly amazing after I had just been paying an over $100 water bill to water my lawn each month.  
9 - Running - It only makes number 9, because let's face it, Omaha isn't my favorite place to run.  However, I have created a lot of memories and I will miss it.  The zoo run, going around Conagra lake dodging duck poop and evil geese, the long runs around the big loop (so thankful we finally found that run), but mostly I will miss my running partners.  It was my daily vent and I know my running partners wondered if I would ever shut up but it was so fun having women to talk to - even if it was at 6:00 in the morning.  I have had NUMEROUS running partners and I have fond memories of all of them.  For journaling purposes, I am going to list them (please don't be offended if I forgot you.....there have been a lot and I am having brain issues).  Meaghan, Erin, Abby, Charissa, Janel, Haley, Shauna, Angie, Jenny, Dana, Brynn, and Allie  - Thanks ladies for the memories! 
8 - My doctor / Place where Creighton & Easton were born - I loved my doctor and I loved my experience having both my babies here.  
7 - The Creme Brulee Waffle - I dream of this sometimes.  If you haven't gone to Wheatfields and ordered this, it's a must.  It is beyond delicious.  What is it?  It's a waffle that has slivered almonds baked in it, then it has this yummy custard goodness on top, and finally topped with a generous amount of fresh berries and bananas.  Yes, mmmm good.  
6 - Farmer's Market - I love the farmer's market here.  Since working there this summer, it has even more fond memories.  I'll miss the cinnamon almonds, the fresh corn, and the pies.  
5 - Johnny's Italian Steakhouse - My favorite restaurant here.  The steak deburgo.  Mmm, mmm, mmmm.
4 - The People - I love (occasionally hate) how laid back everyone is here.  They drive 60 mph hour.  They aren't always in a hurry.  Christianity is big out here too.  I love that there are a ton of billboards promoting it.  I love that the people here really aren't "Keeping up with the Joneses" types of people.  Maybe there are some crazies out here, but where isn't there?  The people out here are awesome and I am really going to miss them.  We are really going to miss our ward, Jackson's teachers, and more.  
3 - Lauritzen Gardens - Oh how I will miss the gardens.  On most days 8 months of the year, you will find me at the gardens at 9 a.m.  I loved having a walk first thing in the morning and I LOVED it at the botanical gardens.  Beyond beautiful, trains and frogs for the kids, and great company too!  I am hoping to get our final annual poinsetta tree Christmas picture here in the next few days.
2 - Zoo - Kindergarten - I know that this is something that I've only gotten to experience the last few months, but this was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to stay here in Omaha.  Jackson loves his school, has an amazing teacher, and what could be cooler that going to Kindergarten at the best zoo in the country.  Plus, Kindergarten is full day here.  It's not in Utah and Jack and I will both miss this.  Jackson is going to be so bored.  I know this makes #2 on my list, but I know this would be Jackson's #1.
1 - Village Green - To me, this has been the best home away from home anyone could EVER have.  I told myself I wouldn't cry while doing this post, but I can't help it.  This place has been amazing and I will miss it so much.  Everyone keeps asking me if I am ready to leave.  I am ready to give up the other 9 things, but I am having a hard time giving this up.  Although I have lost a lot of friends that have already moved on, I still have a lot of incredible friends still here.  I love the park.  I love the kids.  I love that you can walk out your door and your kid has instant friends.  I love that if I need a baby sitter, I have about 25 people I feel comfortable calling.  In fact, I usually can just walk 20 feet to find one.  I love that we are all family.  I love the service that has been rendered to me.  I've loved the summer night and the Sunday dinners.  I've loved the bike rides.  I love my house.  I love that I can call maintenance every time I have a problem.  I love Cherubs.  I loved card night, scrapbook night, walking group, running group, work-out class ---(ohhhh how I've miss you), Institute, nert parties, and much much more.  I am so thankful that 4 1/2 years ago, I made this my home.

There it is.  That's my list.  I am sure I have forgotten other things, so maybe I will have to amend it.  Although it has been wonderful....I will include a Things I will not miss about Omaha.  This is mainly just to make me stop crying....

10 - The drop off at the top of the playground that all my kids liked to hang from to freak me out....one child (E) even falling from it. 9 - No Cafe Rio with no substitute, 8 - Skunks, 7 - The Village Green Board Meetings (this is for Mitch), 6 - The Omaha Smell (I'm telling you, Omaha has a smell and it's not good), 5 - Hills when running 4 - Having to say good bye to so many great friends every single year. 3 - Council Bluffs Walmart 2 - Humidity, 1 - Winter (Yes, I will not be sad when I will be missing the -30 degree wind chill weather this January.)

Goodbye Omaha.  We will miss you.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How I have missed you!! Can we just have our own workout class when you finally get to Utah?
There really is nothing like Village Green. I miss and love omaha!

Bobi Jensen said...

Good post. I cried :).

Bobi

The Peterson's said...

I actually think I will miss Westfields too. I didn't think I would miss you leaving there, but I will miss Westfields. I will also miss you living so close to friends. That neighborhood is a once in a life time experience.

angie said...

don't cry... omaha is a GREAT place, BUT now you'll be SO MUCH CLOSER!! YAY!!!!!

1runhen@comcast.net said...

nert parties?? I knew it! You guys were cheating!! Nert is a once a year game that allows no practice. Buuttt, seeing your memories and sadness- you are forgiven.

oh and this was really Lindsey- don't have a google account so I used mom's so I could voice my opinions