Sunday, September 26, 2010

Happy 30th Anniversary

Last Saturday, my parents celebrated their 30th anniversary.  With all holidays, my mom always out does my dad in the gift giving.  This year, I was incredibly impressed by my dad.  He wrote out the 30 reasons why he loves her and attached him to gift cards (which was quite clever because he decided...she spends money at those places any way, now it's just prepaid).  I asked my dad if I could write the 30 reasons down to document for future generations to see the love they had for each other.




Top 30 Reason’s I love you…
1. Because 30 ½ years ago you accepted a blind date and continued to date an often “weird” guy
2. You gave me an Easter basket in 1980 that showed to me what a thoughtful person you are
3. You were worthy to go to the temple. Your faith in the gospel is so strong
4. Because you looked so beautiful on our wedding day, and have only gotten better!
5. Because you found us our first home on valley street and fixed it up. Formed great friendships there
6. Because you gave me my first child though much suffering, our family “Patriarch”
7. Feeling like it was important to have a companion to our first daughter, you shortly there after gave me my second daughter, the “golden child”
8. Because you had us move to Parley’s area where we again formed great neighbors, tradtions, and friends.
9. Gave birth to our first beautiful son, the “doctor”
10. Because it was so nice to have a wonderful companion on business trips and vacations… the Disneyland family trips, Yellowstone, and so much more. The preparation and hard work it took to happen
11. Because through so much difficulty after delivery, you gave me our third ‘loopy, happy daughter”
12. Because you found us a new home in the old mill area, added your touches, designed and planted the yard to make it the most cherished material possession and a home for our family and posterity
13. Because through the waiting, the difficult pregnancy you gave me our final child “Q”
14. Because you supported me in my quest for excellence in my career at the rink
15. For your forgiving nature, exemplified by the boy that ran you over. You still suffer from this, but never have I heard a revengeful word
16. For your fight. You fought back from your accident and kept running, were most others would have quit
17. Because you were so good to my mom, visiting her and caring for her
18. As our children grew, you supported all their important events and made their birthdays special
19. Love of the holidays and the traditions (Halloween, superbowl, July 4th) YOU have established
20. You’ve ALWAYS kept yourself looking so good and help me (nose, ear, brow hairs) look not so homely
21. For your relentless pursuit of your goals, persisting through all kinds of setbacks… 50 by 50
22. For the tiddy way you’ve kept our house, yard, clothes, etc..
23. For accepting callings and doing your very best at them, and supporting me (bishopric, Hispanic)
24. For your sweet, thoughtful, tender (but sometimes long) prayers
25. For your honesty (sometimes to a fault)
26. Because you will never let us forget Q, our cherished memories of him you keep him alive, and what a wonderful mother you were and will always be for him
27. For our family dinners, the togetherness they bring, and your thoughtfulness and work ethic to invite others. Your truly selfless
28. Because I trust you completely, I have had never had a reason otherwise
29. Because you’re the best grandmother our grandkids could hope for!
30. Because you’ve MADE me a better man and I’ve loved you 30 years ago BUT I love you even more today! Happy 30th anniversary

Thanks dad for letting us listen in on these 30 reasons.  I am so grateful mom accepted that blind date and I am also glad to be your "golden child." Hah hah.  Hopefully I can live up to the name. :)


6 comments:

Lael said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful love story--one that I have truly enjoyed observing this past 30 years. The best part of life is knowing you can spend all eternity with your very best friend! Your parents are truly that and so much more!

The Peterson's said...

I should be the golden child! Thats crap. The patriarch? We all know that I no example.

Lynden and Lyndsay said...

blame it on the pregnancy hormones BUT this made me cry! your parents are such wonderful people and deserve nothing but happiness!!!

Courtney said...

Your dad is a rockstar! What a great idea. I'm just wondering how I can casually bring this up to Ryan without him knowing that I obviously want him to do this for me someday :)

Jenn said...

I sat here crying as I read this! Your mom is the most amazing women and example I've had in my life! Your Dad's pretty great too. Everything he said is so so true. You're lucky to have such a great family and it shows because you are a great mom too!

angie said...

so sweet!