Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving and the Trailer

This last weekend Mitch's parents were SUPER nice and brought out a trailer full of all the stuff we left in Utah since we figured we would only be gone 2 1/2 years and then we would be back. Now that plans have changed and we are sticking around and we have moved into a bigger place, my parents thought it would be a great idea for us to take all the stuff back. Besides some couches we left and a bookcase, it was that stuff that your parents always want you to take to your house, and you say, "I'll get it next time." Well, imagine about 15 boxes of that crap. Seeing the trailer and everything in it, seriously made it one of the most depressing days. How did we accumulate all of that? AND....we haven't needed it for 2+ years, so why do we need it now? Needless to say, that portion of the holiday weekend was not my favorite. I was thankful for a very nice day outside, however, and I was able to combine and get rid of enough stuff to only have about 5 crates instead of 15. I was quite proud of this accomplishment. One of the worst parts was Mitch threw his back out and it was an interesting weekend with the two of us not able to really do much. I will say that my husband is much tougher than me though.

Thanksgiving was a lot of work, but it turned out pretty good. I did a lot of research as I attempted to make my first turkey. Here is a picture of our feast:

Please note that I made a 16 lb. turkey for 4 adults and 2 little ones. Yeah, we had a lot of turkey left. We went to see the Gingerbread display at the Trail Center. However, we only have this one photo, because the battery died right after.
We took his parents downtown for dinner and then we walked around the city (YES, it was freezing) and saw all the lights and the pioneer statues throughout the city. We also went down the slides. It's sad that I have lived 2 miles from these slides and I have never taken my boys to them. They had a lot of fun.



This is Mitch acting like he is a pioneer and being so tired he can't even walk. Very good acting honey!
The next morning, we put up the Christmas tree. I'm quite proud of this tree, because we haven't put one up really before since we haven't been around for Christmas and before that we didn't have kids. It was fun and Jackson and Creighton liked putting the ornaments on (which consisted of 4 regular ornaments and 2 boxes of candy canes). You'll see in the picture below that Creighton broke one of the "ornaments" and realized that it was candy. I don't think our tree will stay in tact very long.

Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for coming to visit! We had a lot of fun!

3 comments:

The Travis' said...

Hey guys,
Looks like you had a fun holiday!!!
Would it be ok if I used some of the pics and info for the family newsletter?? Please let me know.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
Love, your cousin Becky

Shauna said...

Is that a picture of you? Your turkey looks great (if you were making it of course it turned out, your the person with the magic cooking touch:)

Jason and Tawni said...

That is one good looking Turkey! Good job Al, I would NEVER attempt that in a million years. Our family would have ended up at Chuck A Rama or Marie Callendars if I was in charge on Thanksgiving. It looks yummy. I love your pictures from Marty and Mary's trip there and your tree looks beautiful. Good idea on the Candy Canes, no harm done if those get broken or eaten. I can't believe that you had the energy to unload that trailer at 9 months pregnant. You continue to amaze me everyday and I love you all so much. It was so nice to see pictures of you all, I miss you guys! Keep me posted on #3, we can't wait for him to get here!