It's been a whirlwind since I found out the devestating and shocking news on Saturday morning. My little (but very tall) brother passed away on Friday night. Mitch and I literally threw everything into a suitcase, found a flight, and boarded a plane. Since getting here, the details of his death at first really disturbed me. I, along with many family members, were having a very difficult understanding what had just happened. My brother took his life and it was a complete shock to us. We didn't know he was struggling. Over the last few days we have come to realize that even though he was going to church, just made the golf team, and had a great job, he was having a real internal struggle. Depression runs in my family on my mother's side and is something some of us have struggled with, and unfortunately, he received that gene along with one from my dad - the non-expressive gene. The combination must have made it impossible for him to share with us the feelings he was having. We considered him to be a typical teenager and had no idea that amount of suffering he was going through.
At first, I felt so dark inside with so many questions. Where is my brother and would I see my him again? How thankful I am for the gospel though! As I mourned for the first hour, my sweet husband immediately jumped on the computer and looked up talks on lds.org. I am so thankful he had the inspiration to do this. He was able to find answers for me. Many people have shared similar quotes from different church authorities regarding this subject and I am SO thankful they have been inspired to do such a thing. There are two quotes that helped turn my darkness and suffering into light and hope.
Elder Bruce R. McConkie: "Persons subject to great stresses may lose control of themselves and become mentally clouded to the point that they are no longer accountable for their acts. Such are not to be condemned for taking their own lives. It should also be remembered that judgment is the Lord's; he knows the thoughts, intents, and abilities of men; and he in his infinite wisdom will make all things right in due course."
Elder M. Russell Ballard: "I draw an important conclusion from the words of the Prophet (Joseph Smith): Suicide is a sin - a very grievous one, yet the Lord will not judge the person who commits that sin strictly by the act itself. The Lord will look at that person's circumstances and the degree of his accountability at the time of the act."
I am comforted to know that there is repentance in the spirit world and that my Heavenly Father loves Que and he will not only look at the act itself but he will also look at all the good he did in his life and his mental state. I know that I will be with my brother again. I am thankful to know this. This will make me a better person and help me to strive even harder to return to my Father in Heaven again.
I really want to thank all of you for your prayers, emails, and messages. You have no idea what it has meant to me. I have felt such love and I will forever be thankful for all of you bouying me up in this time of sadness.
I included a picture of my sweet little brother below holding Jackson and Creighton. He loved them so much and he will forever be missed by Mitch, myself and the boys.
21 comments:
Oh, Allie. My heart aches for you and your family. I'm so sorry that your sweet brother had to deal with depression here on earth. I truly believe that the Lord will show him unconditional compassion and love.
President Monson said, "Through tears and trials, through fears and sorrows, through the heartache and loneliness of losing loved ones, there is assurance that life is everlasting."
You will see your brother again and he will be perfect. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Amy
Allie, this is a beautiful entry and one that I'm so grateful you posted for all of us to read. I'm so grateful for your testimony and the strength that you've been to me over the years - for your example and faith. Thank you for sharing these words and for letting us know how you're doing. How lucky we are to have the gospel in our lives to give us sight of the bigger picture.
Wish I was there this week. I'm thinking about you guys always.
Love
Courtney
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Alissa
Al...You are so amazing. Thank you so much for this post. I wish so much I could be there today but I know you have a great support system to get you through this difficult time.
Love, Kristi
Allie, my mom just called me and told me the news about your brother. I hope you don't mind that I tracked your blog down, but I just wanted you to know I am thnking of you. Your family is in our prayers.
Love,
Courtnie Cannon Hopkin
Allie,
That was so sweet, isn't it amazing the comfort we draw from the gospel during difficult times? Please know that you're family is in our prayers.
Allie I hope you know how strong and wonderful you are, and what an example you are to me. Thanks you! Miss you and love you!
Allie:
I loved this post... especially the cute picture at the bottom. Thank you for sharing. Your family was just simply amazing yesterday up there talking about Que... I loved being there and feeling of the spirit. Que is one amazing young man. Stay strong... and know that your whole family is in my constant thoughts and prayers.
Anya
Thanks for the update, Allie. I've been thinking about you. And thanks so much for the testimony that you share with all of us. I know that you're right - I know that you will see your sweet little brother again. I'm sure he'll miss you as much as you miss him.
your entire family has been in our thoughts and prayers all week. it is good to hear the comfort you are embracing through a wonderful husband and the gospel. your entry is beautiful- thank you for sharing.
I have been checking to see if you would post and am so glad that you did. I have been worried about you and your family but can see by your words that all is as well as things can be now and life will one day be right again for everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We love you so much and are glad to have such a great influence as a friend!
Al,
Thanks for putting this on your blog, I needed to read these words and hear your testimony. I know that you are one strong woman and if anyone can get through something like this, it's you and your family. Mitch is such a blessing in your life and I am glad that he found those talks for you to read. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to be there with you on Thursday and for the chance to hear such a wonderful tribute to Que. He will be missed for only for a short time because the time will come when you and your family get to be reunited with him in his newly found perfection and non suffering.
I love you dearly and thank you for being such an amazing friend all these years. I am so lucky to have you in my life!
Love
Tawni
Thanks for sharing with us your feelings. We too have been thinking of you ever since we hear the news. Everyone will continue to remember you in their prayers and hope you can continue to find peace.
Allie, you are such a strong person and such an inspiration to me! Thank you so much for sharing your testimony! I am so sorry for your loss and we will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers and thoughts!
Allie, I found your blog through Kristi's blog. I am so sorry. Joan had called my mom and told her the news. I am glad that I was able to find your blog to tell you that I am thinking about and praying for you and your family. I am grateful for your example of strength and faith. You will continue to be in my prayers.
love,
Whitney Townsend Andrews
Thank you for your testimony. I too know the heart ache that comes when someone close to you takes their own life. I was really young but remember everything about it. Thank you for the words from the apostles. I have never heard it explained in those words but I firmly believe in those truths. It is up to the Lord and he is loving and merciful. My prayers are with you.
Angie
I am speechless! You are such a great example to not only your family, and boys but to everyone out here in Omaha. You have always welcomed everyone with open arms especially us! I remember your little brother when I was over at house- he was so little though! Let us know if you need anything- Hang in there!!!!!
Allie, you are such a strong and amazing woman to get through this. What a touching post, I am glad you are starting to heal. I feel so sorry for your loss, and hope the healing continues. I keep you in my prayers.
Bonnie
allie,
i found you through kristi's blog. i never really got to express in words how deeply my heart aches for you and your wonderful family. you have been in my prayers. your family said the most amazing, sweet words the day of the funeral. you are so strong.
leave me a comment on my photo blog and i will send you an invite to our family blog.
allismiles.blogspot.com
allison (shiozawa) miles
Allie, your post was so touching. Your words expressed so beautifully the testimony that your daily life radiates. Thank you for your example of faith... you will continue to be in our prayers and thoughts.
Hi Allie,
I feel so sad to hear about your family and want you to know that you have been in my thoughts these past few weeks. I have always loved your family and have wonderful memories of them. I want you to know that we are thinking of you and praying for you.
Love,
Lauren
Post a Comment