Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Wonder Pets Save the Duckling

Did I ever tell you I was on an episode of the Wonder Pets?

This episode to be exact.....

If you've seen "Wonder Pets" before, I am sure that you are probably singing the theme song in your head right now.  You can thank me later when it's stuck in your head for 3 hours.  

Anyway, here's the story.  My mom was watching my boys for a couple hours so I could get a few things done.  I felt like a free woman and knew that I had to work fast to and utilize these few hours to the best of my ability.  Unfortunately, it all went to heck when I walked out in my back yard to find this....

It's a bad picture, but it's a mama duck and about 8 little ducklings.
 I decided to run inside and grab the camera so I can show the boys when they got home.  I take some pictures, all the while the mama duck is hissing at me and proceeds to run off with the little ducks following behind her.

As I turn to go in my house, I hear a faint quacking.  I follow the quacking noise to find this....

A baby duck stuck in my window well.
CRAP!  I run off to find the mama duck to politely tell her that she left behind one of her children, but she is no where to be found.  What am I supposed to do?  I tried to pick the duckling up to get her out of the window well, but she was super spazzy and would not allow it to happen.  I finally get the window screen off and get her to climb on it and I lift her out.  Yay.....except then the dumb duck runs over and falls in a different window well.  Are you kidding me?  Oh, and then I hear more quacking.  Yes, it was coming from over by my fence where I find this.....

Another duck!
So, I am NOT an animal love, but you have to admit that is one cute duck, right?  So what was I supposed to do.  The one duck was still stuck in the window well...I attempted to get it out again but after a bazillion failed attempts and sweating like crazy, I gave up.  Then, the duck that I found by my fence was seriously dying.  It was so sad, he would run and then he would do somersaults he was so clumsy and then he would just lay on his back unable to turn himself over to stand up.  So sad.   All the while though I was wasting precious "no kids" time.  What to do?  Seriously.

So, I called my mother-in-law, aka Pet Lover.  I explained the situation and she responded with a few ideas, and then I proceeded to say, "Well frankly, I am done saving the ducks.  I feel like I did my best, but after wasting an hour on them, I am done."  She quickly responded saying she would be right over, and she was.  We got them both in a box, I said my farewell, and it was done.



I saved the ducks.

They currently reside at Mitch's brothers house.  They bought a lamp for them and duck food and they have been giving them lots of TLC (something I didn't know if I could offer the little ducks).  We even took the kids over to visit.


I am sad to report that the cute little one I found by the fence has since passed.  :(

I have to say that when I went to turn on the episode of Wonder Pets where they save the Duckling to reminisce about my adventure, a small part of me wanted to go put on a cape and join Ming Ming in the effort.  I resisted though.  But perhaps I should make a cape in case I ever get called into duty again.  Yes, a good idea.  A very good idea indeed.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

This was so funny! How in the world do ducklings stray into your yard when you live in the middle of a city? And by the way, about Jackson's tooth, all of my adult teeth came in that way. It really isn't that weird, but I will admit it was rather traumatizing for me to have to have them all pulled (I only lost one baby tooth by myself - the rest my dentist had to pull out). Glad the tooth fairy made it to your house!

The Wood Family said...

I tried to save a kitten once. It was the most frustrating night of my life. I wish I would have thought to call a pet lover to come save it for me! :)